Can you imagine an Indian dish without turmeric? It forms an integral part of Indian cuisine. But, apart from being used as an ingredient in cooking, turmeric offers many health benefits. Turmeric contains more than 300 antioxidants, which makes turmeric a powerful healer. But turmeric not just heals you from inside; it also makes you more beautiful! It also works as a fairness agent. But is that all? Do all the 300 antioxidants work just to make us fairer? Not at all! It has several other benefits too!
Turmeric Health Benefits
1. Turmeric is said to prevent cancer and childhood leukemia with the aid of its main component-curcumin.
2. It helps in detoxifying the liver, which further prevents the risk of hepatitis, cirrhosis and jaundice.
3. It also aids in fat metabolism to help manage the weight along with improving digestion, reducing bloating.
4. Turmeric extracts or bitters when taken twice a day daily for two weeks prior to the expected menstruation cycle will help reduce the monthly menstrual cramps.
5. Turmeric has antibacterial properties along with anti- inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Thus, turmeric is a good healing agent
6. It boosts the immunity on account of its strong antioxidant activity that fights off free radical attacks in the system.
7. Its strong anti-inflammatory property also acts against the development of rheumatoid arthritis and delays it.
8. When taken as supplements, it also aids in reducing joint pains.
9. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties also reduce inflation in the brain, which is believed to be the main reason behind Alzheimer’s disease. This can, therefore, also delay the onset of Alzheimer’s.
10. Turmeric regulates the homocysteine levels and, therefore, through its interactions in the level, it also controls the cholesterol level. It is also useful to ward off cardiovascular diseases.
11. Turmeric also moderates your insulin levels thereby having a limited level of influence over diabetes control.
12. Alzheimer disease is a severe neurological disorder in which the person suffers from gradual memory loss. It has many complications and side effects. Turmeric juice treats Alzheimer disease effectively. It tones down the brain inflammation by blocking the pathway of the COX-2 enzyme.
13. Antioxidants are the key molecules that hamper and regulate the growth of free radicals in the human body. Free radicals are cancer-causing agents that interfere with the normal cell growth. Turmeric juice, which contains many antioxidants, keeps cancer at bay.